Peri Matrix

Be Safe And Use Friendly Alternative Heating Sources


Heating your home may not be an issue during summer right now, but as soon as it is done, you will need to think about keeping your home cool. With the rising costs of heating oil going up every year, many people are looking for alternative ways to heat their homes. The problem is that these alternative methods also have a greater risk of causing house fires. This article will cover several ways you can prevent damage to your home when heating it alternatively.

Electric heaters and electric fireplaces are often the first product that people choose to buy. These so called space heaters or electric fireplaces can be a rather large fire risk if not used properly. When you're not home, it is important to know that you should turn off any of these units. It is a huge fire risk having these normally safe units on while you are not at your house. When they are running you should also never place any objects near the devices. Any wall or object that is flammable should be at least 3 feet away from the unit. Finally, you should not plug this unit into a power strip.

Of course many other people end up getting themselves a wood fire stove or a fireplace. While this is a great way to heat your home, this can also be a fire hazard. If you feel like you can install the stove yourself, it is important to realize that it is better to let a professional do it for you. When it is installed properly you will know for sure that there is less of a chance for a fire to start.

Also once you have the unit installed you will need to make sure that you have your wood stove and chimney inspected and cleaned regularly. Chimney fires are most often caused by creosote that builds up in the stove and chimney. Another idea to know is placing a barrier made of metal or glass in front of the wood stove or fireplace. This can help reduce any chances of any wood sparks landing on your carpeting or other flammable materials. And the same as with electric heaters you should never leave your fireplace or wood stove burning if you are not at home.

Having a smoke detector in every room is worth the investment. While this is not normally required by law, this is an excellent way to help make sure your family is notified if there is a fire. Each level of your home should also have a fire extinguisher ready to be used. It is good to be prepared as best you can even though you can't predict the future, but the above tips should help.

 


Comments (0)

There are currently no comments on this post. Be the first one!


Add Comment


Login/Register

Already A Member? You can log into your account here.


First Name:
Last Last:
Email Address:

Select Username:
Select Password:
Verify Password:

Your Bio: (Optional. Introduce your self, and some of your work, interests and hobbies.)

Scroll To Top


Privacy Policy / Terms of Service / Accessibility Statement
© 2019 - perimatrik.org. All Rights Reserved.